What’s the best comeback metal album?

This is always an interesting question!  For my money, it's gotta be "Blood of the Nations" from Accept.  After a 14-year gap, and the inability to make things work again with Udo, they went out and enlisted the services of Mark Tornillo.  And for me, Tornillo is the far better singer.  I love Udo - both his work with Accept and his band U.D.O. - but Mark has the much more dynamic range.  From the gruff lower-range stuff to the banshee screams, Tornillo is just phenomenal.  After Phil Anselmo and Rob Halford, Mark Tornillo is in my top 3 favorite metal singers of all time.  

"Blood of the Nations" is full of incredible guitar work, great lyrics, and vocals that fit the backdrop absolutely perfectly.  

Monotheist stands above all other metal comeback albums imho. Came out of the blue, don't think any of us were expecting that album after 16 years of inactivity. They completely reinvented themselves and went in an entirely new direction instead of just trying to recreate their 80's stuff. I think it could be a long time til I see a band come back with an album that strong.

No offense to Carcass, old or new I've just never been a fan. Especially Colored Sands. Can't see what it is everyone seems to love about that one.

Yes, Surgical Steel isn’t close to Necrotism or Heartwork. Amott and Steer together was something special I thought. But I was glad they got back to their roots and put out another good album. I am a big Carcass fan and Swan Song would have been a sad ending for me. But I thought they had such a killer sound with Ken Owen, Amott, Steer. I like Jeff Walkers lyrical content but his voice wasn’t my fav. However I did like the early stuff up to Necrotism when Steer sang too. I thought his voice sounded good.

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard and Mount of Execution off Surgical Steel are a couple of my fav Carcass songs. But still a lot different sounding than their old stuff.

On 5/7/2023 at 5:25 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No offense to Carcass, old or new I've just never been a fan. Especially Colored Sands. Can't see what it is everyone seems to love about that one.

Colored Sands is a Gorguts album!

For me:

Accept - Blood of Nations

Carcass - Surgical Steel

Exodus - Tempo of the Damned

Gorefest - La Muerte

Iron Maiden - Brave New World - they hadn't broken up but had lost the plot prior to this.

Onslaught - Killing Peace

While I find "Blood of the Nations" from Accept to be the very best comeback metal album, I have to give an honorable mention to "Mourn the Southern Skies" by Exhorder.  Those guys never lasted long enough in their hay day, but that was a crushing album.

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Colored Sands is a Gorguts album!

Of course it is. I was thinking of Surgical Steel obviously, not sure how I got those two mixed up. I guess it's because they both highly acclaimed "comeback albums" that came out about 10 years ago and they're both from well known legacy bands that many people really seem to like a lot that don't do anything at all for me. I do like Considered Dead, but out of both bands' entire catalogues that's the only one I'll ever listen to. Not sure why I don't care much for Carcass, one might even think their classic material would be right up my alley. Not that I actively dislike them, but I don't particularly like them much either. I guess I don't give them much thought one way or the other.

Considering giving Blood of the Nations a shot here since I've never heard it, haven't heard anything of theirs since Metal Heart. But I'm wary because the only two Accept albums I ever liked at all were Restless & Wild, and Metal Heart. They really lost me with what to me was the abominable Balls to the Wall. One of those 80's bands that I was reasonably into 40 years ago but hasn't aged well for me. Let's see how this goes.

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Also does TON’s Dead Again count?

Great album, but it came out just 4 years after LIKM, so no I wouldn't think that counts as a comeback album. Comeback to me means a band that's broken all the way up and then some years later got back together.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies