What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Kankar - Dunkle Millennia, Germany. Yeah I'm digging this one.

Звёздный Храм - Звёздный Храм, rbm Russia. I hate when I click on these cassette only releases. I love this album now, I'd seen it mentioned a couple of places as one of this years best bm albums, so I had to check it out. But I don't mess with cassettes and there's no digital or CD.

Darkthrone - It Beckons Us All.......  Norway. Can't believe it took me four months to check out the new Darkthrone. I suppose my enthusiasm for new material has waned since the last couple while not bad albums, they haven't been up to their previous high standards. This one's no different, it's alright, but I'm not excited about it. Second track is a bit better, but man that first track was a 6 and a half minute snoozer.

Departure Chandelier - Antichrist Rise to Power, Montréal/NY 2019

Gryftigaen - Graven til Måneåpenbaringer, lo-fi atmo-black Chile 2020, when only fuzzy lo-fi black metal will scratch that itch.

3 hours ago, RexKeltoi said:

Charon - Colder  My son suggested I check it out a few minutes ago

Saw Charon and I got all excited because I assumed you meant these guys. But it didn't take very long to figure out that must be a different Charon. So I looked it up, M-A lists 11 bands named Charon. Yours is apparently the Finnish heavy/gothic metal one that split up in 2011. Mine's the German blackened death one.

Charon - Sulphur Seraph (The Archon Principle) Germany 2012

NP: Abyssium - s/t

▶︎ Abyssium | Abyssium (bandcamp.com)

a3531221190_10.jpg

Newer band. I'm down with the feel of the whole thing. There's purpose here with a thought out drive toward an identifiable sound, and the execution is on point. Might be a little too modern sounding and have too much death metal in the blend for those who take their metal black, bitter, and cold. I'm fine with it, though. Especially coming from a group this new. Only issue I have is that the opening track has an ambient intro on an EP that has just three songs. That's a puzzling decision.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Zørza - Hellven, Poland

What have we here? I like that slight delay on the first proper track that immediately goes to a wall of sound that takes a second for your brain to really strain through. It's one of my favorite things in metal in particular, like those videos of somebody saying the same thing in several different languages and without warning switches to English lighting up the neural pathways, and you get that blissful kick of your own mind clocking itself recognizing that it's recognizable, but not fully assembled.

Anyway I think I'll listen to this one for its duration. Sounds really good so far.

20 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Zørza - Hellven, Poland

What have we here? I like that slight delay on the first proper track that immediately goes to a wall of sound that takes a second for your brain to really strain through. It's one of my favorite things in metal in particular, like those videos of somebody saying the same thing in several different languages and without warning switches to English lighting up the neural pathways, and you get that blissful kick of your own mind clocking itself recognizing that it's recognizable, but not fully assembled.

Anyway I think I'll listen to this one for its duration. Sounds really good so far.

Yeah man, I thought this was excellent as atmo-black goes. I don't mind the modern wall of noise production at all. I can be civilized now and then, everything doesn't always have to be all raw, lo-fi and necro all the time, especially with these atmospheric bands. As long as they show reasonable restraint and it doesn't get too polished, plastic and overproduced. But this sounds really good, I think they nailed it. I love Polish black metal anyway, been spinning a lot of it the last few days, so it's cool to come across a new good young Polish band. This is their first full length after just one EP last year, and the two dudes look fairly young, so I hope we'll be hearing a lot more from them.

3540526922_photo.jpg?4423

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies