What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Day one report from Minneapolis. Despite paying a ridiculous amount of money, we're all having a blast. Minneapolis is up there with the coolest cities I've ever been to. Friendly people, plenty of beer, and nice weather for the middle of August.

As for the show, we missed most of Mammoth. What I heard wasn't that impressive. Pantera sounded ok, but didn't do much for me. Never much of a fan anyway.

Metallica on the other hand fuckin killed. These guys shouldn't sound this good so far into their career. My only complaint is the size of the venue. Would rather be in a smaller place, but it is a minor complaint. Setlist was as good as I could expect. Now a free day to explore and then show #2.

The Ecstasy of Gold
(Ennio Morricone song)
Creeping Death
Harvester of Sorrow
Hit the Lights
King Nothing
72 Seasons
If Darkness Had a Son
Fade to Black
Shadows Follow
Orion
Nothing Else Matters
(With extended Kirk intro)
Sad but True
Battery
Fuel
Seek & Destroy
Master of Puppets

3 hours ago, navybsn said:

Day one report from Minneapolis. Despite paying a ridiculous amount of money, we're all having a blast. Minneapolis is up there with the coolest cities I've ever been to. Friendly people, plenty of beer, and nice weather for the middle of August.

As for the show, we missed most of Mammoth. What I heard wasn't that impressive. Pantera sounded ok, but didn't do much for me. Never much of a fan anyway.

Metallica on the other hand fuckin killed. These guys shouldn't sound this good so far into their career. My only complaint is the size of the venue. Would rather be in a smaller place, but it is a minor complaint. Setlist was as good as I could expect. Now a free day to explore and then show #2.

The Ecstasy of Gold
(Ennio Morricone song)
Creeping Death
Harvester of Sorrow
Hit the Lights
King Nothing
72 Seasons
If Darkness Had a Son
Fade to Black
Shadows Follow
Orion
Nothing Else Matters
(With extended Kirk intro)
Sad but True
Battery
Fuel
Seek & Destroy
Master of Puppets

Yeah by all accounts Minneapolis is really cool, always meant to get up there one day. Just not during the winter. And I like winter, but not that much winter. Glad you're having fun with the missus. Great idea to give everyone a day off in between shows to rest up and check out the city. Are all 3 bands doing no repeat sets tomorrow? Or do they have different openers entirely for tomorrow? Not that I care because I couldn't sit through any of it. Mammoth and Pantera no thanks. Have no real interst in seeing Metallica either, James looks even older than me (he's not) and that setlist left a lot to be desired. Creeping Death and Harvester are cool, but then it gets really boring for me. But hey at least I was lucky enough to have seen them in '85 up close in the club without seats back when I really did care. Thanks for checking in dude. 

Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick

Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh

Morbid Angel - Gatheways to Annihilation

Morbid Angel - Kingdoms Disdained

Nile - In their darkened Schrines

D.A.M - Human Wreckage

D.A.M - Inside out

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah by all accounts Minneapolis is really cool, always meant to get up there one day. Just not during the winter. And I like winter, but not that much winter. Glad you're having fun with the missus. Great idea to give everyone a day off in between shows to rest up and check out the city. Are all 3 bands doing no repeat sets tomorrow? Or do they have different openers entirely for tomorrow? Not that I care because I couldn't sit through any of it. Mammoth and Pantera no thanks. Have no real interst in seeing Metallica either, James looks even older than me (he's not) and that setlist left a lot to be desired. Creeping Death and Harvester are cool, but then it gets really boring for me. But hey at least I was lucky enough to have seen them in '85 up close in the club without seats back when I really did care. Thanks for checking in dude. 

Yeah I never had the chance back then, so I'll take whatever I can get. They're old, but fuck they sound great. Tomorrow I think we'll get some other goodies like Fight Fire with Fire, Ride the Lightning, Battery... I'd spooge my pants for Phantom Lord, Escape, or Trapped Under Ice, but those aren't very likely.

Tomorrow's openers are Ice Nine Kills which I've never heard of and Five Flavored Fruit Punch which I have heard of but never heard. Not getting my hopes up for either. Time for hitting the bar and merch table. 

Tonight is an unrelated show: Green Day, Rancid, and Smashing Pumpkins. Wouldn't mind seeing Rancid but the cheapest Tix we can find would cost us $700. Pass. Think we'll just get shitty drunk and find some good chow.

Crazy thing to me so far is the insufferable amount of poseurs out for the show. I mean I get a ton of people didn't get into Metallica until the black album, but they bust out with Hit The Lights and you're not even bobbing your head... GTFO. I mean even my Midwestern mom looking non metal head wife was ready to wreck shit when they started playing that. C'mon man, it's a fuckin metal show.

NP: Evilyn - Mondestrunken

Mondestrunken | EVILYN | Evilyn (bandcamp.com)

a1835913823_10.jpg

Ah, my beloved tech-death. I keep on seeing comparisons from others between this and Dodecahedron or Artificial Brain, which I guess is understandable just as a frame of reference. I'd say it's a little imprecise though. Most Colin Marsten bands tend to take up residence in the jangly dissonant section and this makes use of far more staccato than those. Colin likes to let his chord progressions ring and bleed into the next musical link in a way that feels much messier than it actually is. Nothing of the sort here. You'd be hard pressed to call this random for randomness' sake. It's very deliberate and lets you know, so the effect is much more demonstrative. I suspect the real influence here would be the always intriguing Diskord. Of course there's always the Gorguts comparison. Sooner or later I think every extreme metal fan has to come up against Obscura, and the results of that, though often very mixed, are always at least interesting. The time jumps and relatively digestible song lengths here are also fairly straightforward and less labyrinthine, but the tonality is more than enough to keep me listening.

40 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

The time jumps and relatively digestible song lengths here are also fairly straightforward and less labyrinthine, but the tonality is more than enough to keep me listening.

I gave this a listen earlier. I enjoyed it but not enough to buy it.

YANOS - Elysium

CEREMONY OF SILENCE - Hálios

CLERIC - Retrocausal

10 hours ago, navybsn said:

Yeah I never had the chance back then, so I'll take whatever I can get. They're old, but fuck they sound great. Tomorrow I think we'll get some other goodies like Fight Fire with Fire, Ride the Lightning, Battery... I'd spooge my pants for Phantom Lord, Escape, or Trapped Under Ice, but those aren't very likely.

Tomorrow's openers are Ice Nine Kills which I've never heard of and Five Flavored Fruit Punch which I have heard of but never heard. Not getting my hopes up for either. Time for hitting the bar and merch table. 

Tonight is an unrelated show: Green Day, Rancid, and Smashing Pumpkins. Wouldn't mind seeing Rancid but the cheapest Tix we can find would cost us $700. Pass. Think we'll just get shitty drunk and find some good chow.

Crazy thing to me so far is the insufferable amount of poseurs out for the show. I mean I get a ton of people didn't get into Metallica until the black album, but they bust out with Hit The Lights and you're not even bobbing your head... GTFO. I mean even my Midwestern mom looking non metal head wife was ready to wreck shit when they started playing that. C'mon man, it's a fuckin metal show.

Yes Ride the Lightning was always my favorite Metallica song because of the awesome Kirk solo. A lot of people like to dump on Kirk but his style of soloing always sat really well with me. I personally enjoy that kind of well thought out melodic soloing much more than Megastaine's 1,000 notes per minute running scales up and down the fretboard approach. Then right after RtL I'd want to hear Creeping Death which they already played Friday, For Whom the Bell Tolls, 4 Horsemen, Harvester which they also already played, Leper Messiah, Disposable Heroes, Sanitarium, and Wherever I May Roam. And I guess I'll throw in Seek and Destroy too which rounds out my top 10. Everyone asks me "But what about Battery?" but I never liked that song aside from just the acoustic intro. Don't like Damage Inc either. They'll probably play The Song That Should Not Be tomorrow and I'd make that the bathroom break grab a beer time because I really fucking hate that song.

A far as the lack of head bobbing is concerned, what did you really expect? These younger dudes probably like the 90's hard rock Load/Reload version of Metallica better than the 80's Cliff era thrash metal Metallica. Crap like Nothing Else Matters, King Nothing and Fuel probably got bigger reactions than Creeping Death and Hit the Lights. Ask James Thomas if he ever comes out of his Hammerfall coma, betcha he'll tell you Load & St Anger are better albums than RtL & Kill 'Em All. Shit, I just had to look up King Nothing on YT to see which song that was, and when I heard it I still didn't even recognize that lame-ass song. Guess we're just getting old man, what can you do, it is what it is.

Αnimalesco, o Μétodo -S/T death/crust/grind from Portugal 2021

Gut - Disciples of Smut, pure filth from Germany

Raw War  - Total Raw War, posthumous debut from Victoria BC-based nuclear crust punk savages