What Are You Listening To?

khaos

6 hours ago, RexKeltoi said:

Fever Dreams is my favourite track on this album, always meant to learn this one but forgot 🤷‍♂️ 

A band I like that always seems under the radar 

Yeah really underrated, their music is exceptional! Heard the other day they dropped by my country in June for a concert, had no idea 😄

Saint Vitus - Die Healing

8 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

X - Live

....50 years of maximumrockandroll.........

What is that a concho belt I see showing there? What is John Doe living in New Mexico now or something? Pan down, I wanna get a glimpse at his ostrich boots. Can't see his feet, they're behind the damn monitor.

Cool video though, I enjoyed it. Should have paid more attention back in the day and looked beyond just Hungry Wolf. We had that album floatin' around too, I know I've heard it, but that's the only song I really remember from it.

Man, these guys are so old they're making me feel young.

NP:  Guts  - Decay, Finland 2023

Feel The Knife -- So Raw... So Nasty... So Hideous, Argentina

16 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Holy crap, I envy this.

I had no idea how sheltered from the pains of this world I truly was.

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah, no that's not true, the Ramones were a real band of misfits who came together all on their own. Three of them had gone to high school together in Queens. Their manager/producer ended up becoming their drummer on all their classic 70's albums because when Joey moved from drums to just vocals they couldn't find a drummer who really fit. At the time they came out of left field, no one had ever seen or heard anything like them before. They were weirdos and people really didn't know what to make of them. They could barely play their instruments in the beginning and record companies didn't want anything to do with them, they had a really hard time getting signed. They were far from a commercial success, their classic debut album peaked at 111 on the Billboard charts and didn't go gold until 38 years later in 2014 after all 4 original members were dead.

I was always a little suspicious of my friend leveling the accusation of the corporatization of punk as a genre at The Ramones. Seemed like a weird hill to plant your flag on, but eh. Metalheads sometimes get caught up in a similar sort of tunnel vision, and I'm just as guilty as anyone. I personally can't stand Killswitch Engage and many many other bands, but I'm not going to cry foul about them and say they're corrupting the entire scene. I have a hard time believing that somewhere out there is an underground lair of elite evildoers hell bent on polluting my music.

NP: Noroth - Sacrificial Solace

▶︎ Sacrificial Solace | Noroth | Carbonized Records (bandcamp.com)

a2269314734_10.jpg

First up, awesome choice to go with copper over black for the cover instead of the usual black and white or red, black, and white. Good way to stand out without sacrificing an ounce a metal aesthetic.

Second this is good. Much more in line with something like Fleshcrawl than say Suffocation, but executed perfectly or late era Exhumed. The emphasis on really crisp riffs for the guitar with the bass carrying the sustain keeps it from becoming to echoey or inaudible. Stand out death metal.

2 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I had no idea how sheltered from the pains of this world I truly was.

I was always a little suspicious of my friend leveling the accusation of the corporatization of punk as a genre at The Ramones. Seemed like a weird hill to plant your flag on, but eh. Metalheads sometimes get caught up in a similar sort of tunnel vision, and I'm just as guilty as anyone. I personally can't stand Killswitch Engage and many many other bands, but I'm not going to cry foul about them and say they're corrupting the entire scene. I have a hard time believing that somewhere out there is an underground lair of elite evildoers hell bent on polluting my music.

NP: Noroth - Sacrificial Solace

▶︎ Sacrificial Solace | Noroth | Carbonized Records (bandcamp.com)

a2269314734_10.jpg

First up, awesome choice to go with copper over black for the cover instead of the usual black and white or red, black, and white. Good way to stand out without sacrificing an ounce a metal aesthetic.

Second this is good. Much more in line with something like Fleshcrawl than say Suffocation, but executed perfectly or late era Exhumed. The emphasis on really crisp riffs for the guitar with the bass carrying the sustain keeps it from becoming to echoey or inaudible. Stand out death metal.

Not as guilty as me Cabriolet, I'll cry foul. I've told people in the past that certain bands' very existence offends me. But I don't tend to obsess over the bands I don't like, and I haven't even checked out a lot of these let's say less than extreme bands you hear metalheads disparage all the time like KSE or Slipknot or whomever. It often amazes me that so many metalheads seem to be so intimately familiar with some of these "poseur" bands if they don't even like them. Life is too short. Maybe it's a generational thing. I was already much too old for some of these trendy 90's and 2000's mainstream metal bands that were more aimed at kids, like KSE and all that metalcore crap. I was never their target audience. I know I must've sampled at least a few minutes of KSE & Slipknot's stuff at some point way back many years ago, but I can't even fucking remember what the hell they sounded like now. When something's really obviously just totally not my thing I'll simply move on and put it out of my mind. But still, at those times when I'm directly confronted with something I've deemed truly heinous I'll not often be able to hold my tongue. That doesn't mean I care what anyone else chooses to listen to though, you do you, just keep it to yourself, it's none of my business.

Totally agree with you on the black and copper album art. An overwhelming percentage of the black metal albums I listen to have black and white covers, but I love it when they substitute another color for the white. I see red and black quite often in my goat metal sub-genres, and I've seen green and blue and yellow, but the copper or sepia or tan works better for me, I really like how that looks. So now I suppose I'll have to listen to the album and see if it's any good. But I'm deep in the death zone tonight Cabo Wabo, so it might have to wait 'til tomorrow.

Skeletal Throne - Barbaric Torment, Mexico 2023, forgot just how good this one was.

Skeletal Throne - Human Deterioration, 2020

Denial - Catacombs of the Grotesque, Mexico 2009

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Noroth - Sacrificial Solace

This is good. Much more in line with something like Fleshcrawl than say Suffocation, but executed perfectly or late era Exhumed. The emphasis on really crisp riffs for the guitar with the bass carrying the sustain keeps it from becoming to echoey or inaudible. Stand out death metal.

Alright the suspense was killing me, so after my Catacombs ended I searched it up...dude this Noroth is fucking killer, love it. I've spent a fair amount of time looking for new black and death metal over the last 15 years or so, too much time, but still shit like this slips by me. Seattle band on Carbonized, a label I've not only heard of but I even have a few things from (Steel Bearing Hand, Mortuous, Funeral Leech, Chthonic Deity) so no idea how I could have missed these guys. Digital's $9.50 for just 22 minutes of music, but their last album's only $6 for 27 minutes so I'll probably grab them both. I know it's just meat and potatoes death with some cavernous Incantation vibes and modern wall of noise production, nothing stunningly original or earth shattering, but this kind of shit is my bread and butter. I like my death metal to sound a certain way, especially the vocals, and these dudes nailed it. Now I'll probably be on a Carbonized Records kick for the next few days.

Funeral Leech - Death Meditation, NY 2020. Mid-paced death/doom of the highest order. I don't like when bands play too slow throughout a whole album, it gets boring. But this is paced just right, they vary the tempos a bit. Their new one from April's badass too. 

Noroth - Harbinger, 2021. Their previous album's not as good as the new one Cabbie posted earlier, but it's still pretty damn good.

Chthonic Deity - Reassembled In Pain EP, Denver 2019. Only a 13 minute demo EP, and they had two tracks on a split with Runemagick also in 2019, but it's been 5 years so hopefully a full length will be forthcoming at some point in the not too distant future.

Mainly been listening to this German radio station for the past day or so. Decent mix of metal and hard rock. Everything from Mayhem to Priest. Have been rearranging the house and haven't had the time to sit and listen to anything specific. Also packing to catch a flight to Minneapolis tonight for Metallica weekend with Ms. Navy and some dear friends. Paid way too much to go see these old geezers, but you only go around once. Plus, getting to drag the woman I am related to by marriage to a metal gig is a life goal.

MetalFM (fluxfm.de)

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Mainly been listening to this German radio station for the past day or so. Decent mix of metal and hard rock. Everything from Mayhem to Priest. Have been rearranging the house and haven't had the time to sit and listen to anything specific. Also packing to catch a flight to Minneapolis tonight for Metallica weekend with Ms. Navy and some dear friends. Paid way too much to go see these old geezers, but you only go around once. Plus, getting to drag the woman I am related to by marriage to a metal gig is a life goal.

MetalFM (fluxfm.de)

I wish i could also convince my stupid boyfriend to go to a metal bar together one day but he's stubborn as a mule..You guys have fun! 😄

18 minutes ago, Yannis said:

I wish i could also convince my stupid boyfriend to go to a metal bar together one day but he's stubborn as a mule..You guys have fun! 😄

I've known her for 45 years (been married for almost 28). This will be her first. Don't give up hope.

We go to quite a few bluegrass & goth shows together, but she is naive to the ways of the metal show. But it's freaking Metallica, and everyone likes Metallica. Definitely not a metal head, but she knows more than plenty of junior heshers these days just by virtue of living with me all of these years.

19 hours ago, Yannis said:

Yeah really underrated, their music is exceptional! Heard the other day they dropped by my country in June for a concert, had no idea 😄

Saint Vitus - Die Healing

Yeah it sucks when a band you want to see tours through without you noticing, glad my son told me Green Lung is touring here later in the year I would have missed that one, a small venue too, just the way I like it.  

11 minutes ago, RexKeltoi said:

Yeah it sucks when a band you want to see tours through without you noticing, glad my son told me Green Lung is touring here later in the year I would have missed that one, a small venue too, just the way I like it.  

In over 40 years of going to metal shows I've only ever seen one arena show. Slayer/Testament in 1991. Sepultura was supposed to be on the bill as well but Igor broke his hand and they had to drop off the tour. Figures that was the band I'd most wanted to see that night. Show was ok but 16,000 seat arenas are not the place you want to see metal bands. It has to be in a sweaty little club or it's not even worth going.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I got Mrs Thatguy to a Devin Townsend gig - which she enjoyed despite herself - but not to anything else.

She won't accompany you to see your Krallice and Ulcerate shows? Do you tell her she's not worthy?

Cairdeas Fala - Sons of the North, atmo-black from Victoria Australia. Strange title considering you can't get much less north than Victoria, unless you go to Antarctica. Or Tasmania I suppose. And what's with the bagpipes? Maybe they're displaced Scotsmen. At least there are no bagpipes in the music, just on the cover.

Komor Romok - Ov Bones and Darkness, Hungarian black