What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Interesting. As someone who listens mostly to thrash I thought this Wraith album was pretty middle of the road and almost boring. Their early stuff is much more to my liking.

NP: Death Angel - Fall From Grace

I suppose I might have called it middling as well were it not for the complete deluge of Municipal Waste style crossover gumming up the gears of the thrash factory over the last few years. You could argue that there's a little of that going on here, but mostly it's simply Exodus styled thrash. Mean riffs, high energy, committed to the thrash side of the bridge between this and death. I don't hear newer American bands doing that too often. It just fits my preferences.

NP: Mortuary Sickness - What Lies Beyond

https://mortuarysickness.bandcamp.com/album/what-lies-beyond

a3920356260_10.jpg

Here's one from May that I hit in a throw a dart at the bandcamp board impulse. Brutal death out of Australia. Make no mistake 'brutal' is the most fitting way to categorize this within death metal, but there's something else going on here. They manage to hold their own on the brutal side of things, and still keep a sense of actual melody that's... I don't know... almost doom like. Sort of like Hooded Menace sold them all their riffs that they thought were too fast. A load of potential on display with this debut full length.

Vektor - Outer Isolation (2011)

Thrash is my favorite style of metal, so I'm always on the lookout for new releases, but I have to admit that once the discovery is behind me, I don't listen to many new bands in the style.

In the years 2000/2010, young bands were content to repeat without inventing anything what their elders had done in the 80s and 90s, and since then we've been seeing young bands taking their inspiration from those bands. So, they're copying the copycats, not always in a good way and rarely in an innovative way.

But if there's one band that doesn't disappoint me during these periods, it's Vektor. Even if their EP released in recent years didn't convince me at all, the band's 3 albums are nuggets.

Sci-Fi or die!

Necrot - Lifeless Birth, Oakland California

Slimelord - Chytridiomycosis Relinquished, Leeds UK. Just a bit too modern and dissonant for me maybe, but still worth a listen, some of you guys are into this stuff.

Carnal Savagery - Into the Abysmal Void, Sweden. Ah, here we go, something groovy and brutal to get me fired up to go do battle with the paint sprayer.

3 hours ago, Arioch said:

But if there's one band that doesn't disappoint me during these periods, it's Vektor. Even if their EP released in recent years didn't convince me at all, the band's 3 albums are nuggets.

Yeah, butt nuggets. (pépites du cul) Don't seem to know any metalheads who don't gush over these dudes. I guess I'll never get it. I can't even listen to two minutes of it.

36 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah, butt nuggets

😁

I especially like the first two albums. I listen to Terminal Redux in small doses. It's so "over" that I find it hard to listen to in one go.

But I prefer ONE Vektor to 1,000 Thrash revival bands.

Today's Thrash music goes through different modes. We've had Thrash pumping Testament/Forbidden (only less well, of course!), then Exodus or Kreator. The current trend is to mix Speed and Black, and there you have it, a new Thrash trend.

And very often, the compositions start with an intro, then speed up, then a riff change (generally in mid tempo), then speed up again and finally the verse arrives. Then chorus, verse, chorus, solo, break (possibly), chorus, new riff to finish the song. All wrapped up with a drummer who imitates Tom Hunting to perfection. Not forgetting the cover art by Ed Repka or a copycat. It's all so banal...

Seprevation - Consumed (2013)

10 hours ago, Arioch said:

😁

I especially like the first two albums. I listen to Terminal Redux in small doses. It's so "over" that I find it hard to listen to in one go.

But I prefer ONE Vektor to 1,000 Thrash revival bands.

Today's Thrash music goes through different modes. We've had Thrash pumping Testament/Forbidden (only less well, of course!), then Exodus or Kreator. The current trend is to mix Speed and Black, and there you have it, a new Thrash trend.

And very often, the compositions start with an intro, then speed up, then a riff change (generally in mid tempo), then speed up again and finally the verse arrives. Then chorus, verse, chorus, solo, break (possibly), chorus, new riff to finish the song. All wrapped up with a drummer who imitates Tom Hunting to perfection. Not forgetting the cover art by Ed Repka or a copycat. It's all so banal...

Seprevation - Consumed (2013)

I mean micro-trends are par for the course with any trend. I do agree that Vektor were a cut above about 95% of the other "thrash revival" acts. They truly did channel the energy and spirit of a group of disaffected alcohol fueled youngsters playing music they loved in squalid building code-violating clubs for other people that loved it. It's worth noting though that a number of the bands who were starting up or hitting their stride around that point had either been around for years before, and just had the good luck to benefit from the revival trend, and that since things have cooled off a little, even some of the bands that were complete greenhands who had formed at that point as a direct result of the trend have been going now for a decade or more. Hardly the makings of a flash in the pan revival. I do agree that like most trends it's all about the diamonds in the rough though.

NP: Angel Sword - World Fighter

▶︎ World Fighter | Angel Sword (bandcamp.com)

a0657311266_10.jpg

First off, something about the singer's voice is reminding me of some character in a cartoon I would have watched on Saturday mornings in the 90's. It's uncanny and I can't figure out what character or which cartoon and it's making me crazy. This is going to bug me for weeks.

Secondly I think the song 'Weekend Warrior" is maybe a case of misunderstood colloquial nomenclature. The term "weekend warrior" is typically applied to people in the army reserves who aren't really intended to be employed as the combat ready arm of the military. It's a sort of mocking term used to belittle some one's commitment to the military for the benefits offered. It's a disparaging remark usually lobbed at a member of the military who's all too happy to brag about his veteran status despite never actually risking anything. It's a bit mean spirited, but if you've ever met somebody who uses their former place in the reserves as a flex you know that they can be insufferable.

Third, and finally, this is pretty good meat and potatoes heavy metal. It'll never reach the lofty heights of Priest or Maiden, but that's not what they're going for. Think Hallow's Eve or Pentagram, and you're on the right track.

4 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Manowar - Gods Of War Live

A band I always wanted to see live but never got the chance unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I mean micro-trends are par for the course with any trend. I do agree that Vektor were a cut above about 95% of the other "thrash revival" acts. They truly did channel the energy and spirit of a group of disaffected alcohol fueled youngsters playing music they loved in squalid building code-violating clubs for other people that loved it. It's worth noting though that a number of the bands who were starting up or hitting their stride around that point had either been around for years before, and just had the good luck to benefit from the revival trend, and that since things have cooled off a little, even some of the bands that were complete greenhands who had formed at that point as a direct result of the trend have been going now for a decade or more. Hardly the makings of a flash in the pan revival. I do agree that like most trends it's all about the diamonds in the rough though.

NP: Angel Sword - World Fighter

▶︎ World Fighter | Angel Sword (bandcamp.com)

a0657311266_10.jpg

First off, something about the singer's voice is reminding me of some character in a cartoon I would have watched on Saturday mornings in the 90's. It's uncanny and I can't figure out what character or which cartoon and it's making me crazy. This is going to bug me for weeks.

Secondly I think the song 'Weekend Warrior" is maybe a case of misunderstood colloquial nomenclature. The term "weekend warrior" is typically applied to people in the army reserves who aren't really intended to be employed as the combat ready arm of the military. It's a sort of mocking term used to belittle some one's commitment to the military for the benefits offered. It's a disparaging remark usually lobbed at a member of the military who's all too happy to brag about his veteran status despite never actually risking anything. It's a bit mean spirited, but if you've ever met somebody who uses their former place in the reserves as a flex you know that they can be insufferable.

Third, and finally, this is pretty good meat and potatoes heavy metal. It'll never reach the lofty heights of Priest or Maiden, but that's not what they're going for. Think Hallow's Eve or Pentagram, and you're on the right track.

Actually in the vernacular of the 60's and 70's in the our subculture weekend warrior more referred to people who party like a madman on the weekend but teetotal the weekdays, some of would easily drink 24- 36 even 48 beers in a weekend. Never drank during the week in those days and in fact never even had a beer on business lunches always drank coffee but come the weekend it was hellbent for leather, that being said I am shocked I am even still alive at this age with no health issues, go figure 🤷‍♂️🤘   

36 minutes ago, RexKeltoi said:

A band I always wanted to see live but never got the chance unfortunately. 

Yeah I wouldn't have minded seeing them live. The Day The Earth Shook is an impressive DVD.

22 minutes ago, RexKeltoi said:

Though a lot of people criticize it, I like the Tony Martin era 

I don't dislike it, he's not my favourite BS singer but he can sing. The Martin era of BS was let down more by the song writing than the singing.

NP: Kreator - Cause For Conflict

9 hours ago, Arioch said:

Which is why I've mostly moved on from straight thrash metal. Even the old 'classic' 80's stuff is "all so banal" once you've heard it 5,000 times. But blacken it a little bit and that changes everything, I can listen to that blackened shit all day. And you know what they say mec, once you go black you never go back.

Everything I used to like about thrash is now done better by more extreme bands without having to suffer through those annoying thrash vocals. From Forbidden to Anthrax to Vektor the vocals have always been the weak link for me in thrash. Growling and shrieking work much better for me.

NP: Sulfuric Hatred - Sulfuric Hatred, NY/MD 2023

Aberration - Refracture, Minneapolis MN

11 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Which is why I've mostly moved on from straight thrash metal. Even the old 'classic' 80's stuff is "all so banal" once you've heard it 5,000 times. But blacken it a little bit and that changes everything, I can listen to that blackened shit all day. And you know what they say mec, once you go black you never go back.

Everything I used to like about thrash is now done better by more extreme bands without having to suffer through those annoying thrash vocals. From Forbidden to Anthrax to Vektor the vocals have always been the weak link for me in thrash. Growling and shrieking work much better for me.

I listen to Black too, but certainly not at your listening level.

On the other hand, I still love those famous Thrash albums that I've listened to 1,000 times. Is it out of nostalgia for an era I thought was much better? I've no idea, but I still get chills listening to certain albums.