What's on your mind?

Apoc

10 minutes ago, Parker said:

I  can't wait for December! That is to say, I can't wait for Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi.  Does anyone know any little thing about it? Even rumors? Maybe I should have posted this in the movie thread, but it is what is on my mind.

Man...you've got a lot to wait.

Meanwhile I can't wait for 21st when a game called Renegade Line launches its alpha and also for Sabaton + Accept concert on 6th of March :3

1 hour ago, Parker said:

I  can't wait for December! That is to say, I can't wait for Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi.  Does anyone know any little thing about it? Even rumors? Maybe I should have posted this in the movie thread, but it is what is on my mind.

Given the title I'd say it's a safe bet Luke won't train Rey as a Jedi. More likely, like Snoke with Kylo, she'll be taught both the light and dark left to judge how and when to use every aspect of The Force. That would make Luke both the last Jedi and ultimately the one responsible for the fall of that order. I also expect Luke to die midway through the film and become a Force Ghost. Third thing we can expect - Leia will die off-screen.

17 hours ago, Parker said:

FA, thank you. While I can't completely wrap my head around all of that, it is the best, most understandable explanation of the sharp/flat thing that I've ever got. You and Jerry Only are the two best music theory teachers on earth. Everyone else either assumes I know things I don't and therefor leaves crucial info out, or acts like I know nothing and say incredibly condescending things (Id Est This is a note! Note? Do you know what a note is?). You did tell me some stuff I already knew (like the G# being the same as an Ab thing, and that on a piano the white keys are the regular notes and the black are the sharps/flats), but you couldn't have known that, so I don't feel condescended. I guess what I have a problem with is that when I look at my bass, the frets are evenly spaced, that is to say that the sharps and flats aren't closer or further away from the other notes, and that makes me think that there is nothing different about them (making calling them sharp or flat seem arbitrary). I guess that the sharps/flats just are different and I just have to accept/deal with that. Again, thanks! Also thanks to RO for your post as well.

15 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Yep music theory is a bitch. Boring as all hell too but somewhat necessary. To be honest I'm still wrapping my head around the idea that something is 'melodic minor' because one note in the scale is minor (minor 3rd) but the rest are major. This is now just my own ramblings no need to bother reading btw.

11 hours ago, Parker said:

I have a question about drop tuning. Say I want to play in drop D. I know that I'd tune my E string (on bass) down to D, but what about the other strings? Do I leave them the way they are, or tune them down an equal amount?

11 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I don't know if it's the same for bass but for a guitar drop tuning generally means only changing the top or thickest string. Going from E standard to drop D would just involve changing the top E to D. EBGDAD rather then EBGDAE. That's the common approach anyway. Waters get a bit muddier for Drop C, Drop B, and Drop A.

That proportional approach is more in line with 'standard' tuning. Not to open that other can of worms again but I'm mostly playing in C# standard of late (C#F#BEG#C#)

6 hours ago, DukeThylacine said:

Muddier? Since now I own a 5-stringer, I've heard dozens of times that 5-stringers (basses) are used by musicians so that they don't have to tune down a 4-stringer during a show, right? Since the standard tuning for a 5-stringer is G-D-A-E-B, means I can play Drop ...B? Or is the Drop D because of the thickness of the 5th string? (I think someone said Drop D...I don't, it got messed up in my head right now)

Anyway, I'll be buying a bass stand as soon as I get my paycheck, but when I browsed the site of our music shop, I noticed 2 types of floor stands - classic ones and neckless ones (as I call them):
http://www.mitrosmusic.com/media/inlineimage/upload_9228_1_d.jpg
http://www.mitrosmusic.com/media/inlineimage/upload_4730_1_d.jpg
I know about this first type (1st link), but I've never seen this 2nd type (2nd link) until I browsed the store. And quite frankly, I like it...it just seems so odd :lol:
But the question is, is it really reliable? I mean, it doesn't have that vertical rod with a "hook" on top which help holds the guitar's neck.
I mean, my bass will be resting in a corner of the room (shielded between 2 furniture pieces) so no one will buzz around there to potentially knock it down, but still....is there any huge difference between these stands?

Figured I'd respond to these in one go. Parker - glad it was helpful, definitely not trying to condescend, sorry if I'm covering things you already understand. There's nothing inherently "different" or special about the sharps/flats; they're just what people call the notes that are in between the other notes. The relationship of those note names to the guitar or bass fretboard is somewhat arbitrary. Going up the fretboard, each fret is a "half step" above the one before it; a movement of two frets is called a "whole step". The distance between B and C, and the distance between E and F, is a half step - they're right next to each other. All of the other notes going up the scale (A to B, C to D, D to E, F to G, and G back to A) are separated by whole steps - they have another note in between them, the sharp and/or flat. So if we start on the lowest string of your bass (assuming it's tuned to standard), the open note is E; one fret up is F; the second fret is F# (or Gb); third fret is G (a minor third above E); fourth fret is G# (a major third above E); fifth fret is A, which is a "perfect fourth" above E, and is also the same note as the next open string, the A string. Repeating that process on the A string, we have A (open), A# (first fret), B (second fret), C (third fret), C# (fourth fret), and D (fifth fret, which is the same note as the next open string up).

Relentless is right about only dropping the lowest (thickest) string for a "drop tuning"; it goes a whole step down (he's wrong to be calling it the "top" string, though; it's always called the "bottom" string, because it plays the lowest notes, nothing to do with its physical location on the instrument). A four-string bass in standard tuning is EADG, from low to high, so putting that bass in "drop D" tuning means it would be DADG. To elaborate more, if you tuned all of the strings down a whole step, it would be called "D standard": DGCF. From there, if you dropped the bottom string another whole step, it would be called "drop C"; it would have the same fingering patterns as a bass in drop D. And tuning all of the other strings down another whole step would give you "C standard", and so on and so forth.

I'm pretty sure that what Relentless means by "muddier waters" is that this terminology is still used informally by people referring to other variations of "drop tuning", and some people also (incorrectly) use it to refer to tuning down the whole instrument, so it can be difficult to know exactly what tuning someone is talking about without more specifics.

Duke - since you have a 5-string, that means it has an extra lower string - BEADG - so yeah, if your guitarists were playing in standard tuning and then tuned their low strings down to drop D, you could still accommodate that. You'll be able to play down to an octave below a standard baritone guitar, which is tuned to B standard, a fourth below E standard: BEADF#B. Alternately, you could always get slightly thinner strings and tune everything up, so that your lowest string is an octave below the guitars, and then you'd have an extra high string instead. That's how I have mine set up at the moment and I personally enjoy it. Either stand should be fine.

13 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Figured I'd respond to these in one go. Parker - glad it was helpful, definitely not trying to condescend, sorry if I'm covering things you already understand. There's nothing inherently "different" or special about the sharps/flats; they're just what people call the notes that are in between the other notes. The relationship of those note names to the guitar or bass fretboard is somewhat arbitrary. Going up the fretboard, each fret is a "half step" above the one before it; a movement of two frets is called a "whole step". The distance between B and C, and the distance between E and F, is a half step - they're right next to each other. All of the other notes going up the scale (A to B, C to D, D to E, F to G, and G back to A) are separated by whole steps - they have another note in between them, the sharp and/or flat. So if we start on the lowest string of your bass (assuming it's tuned to standard), the open note is E; one fret up is F; the second fret is F# (or Gb); third fret is G (a minor third above E); fourth fret is G# (a major third above E); fifth fret is A, which is a "perfect fourth" above E, and is also the same note as the next open string, the A string. Repeating that process on the A string, we have A (open), A# (first fret), B (second fret), C (third fret), C# (fourth fret), and D (fifth fret, which is the same note as the next open string up).

Relentless is right about only dropping the lowest (thickest) string for a "drop tuning"; it goes a whole step down (he's wrong to be calling it the "top" string, though; it's always called the "bottom" string, because it plays the lowest notes, nothing to do with its physical location on the instrument). A four-string bass in standard tuning is EADG, from low to high, so putting that bass in "drop D" tuning means it would be DADG. To elaborate more, if you tuned all of the strings down a whole step, it would be called "D standard": DGCF. From there, if you dropped the bottom string another whole step, it would be called "drop C"; it would have the same fingering patterns as a bass in drop D. And tuning all of the other strings down another whole step would give you "C standard", and so on and so forth.

I'm pretty sure that what Relentless means by "muddier waters" is that this terminology is still used informally by people referring to other variations of "drop tuning", and some people also (incorrectly) use it to refer to tuning down the whole instrument, so it can be difficult to know exactly what tuning someone is talking about without more specifics.

Duke - since you have a 5-string, that means it has an extra lower string - BEADG - so yeah, if your guitarists were playing in standard tuning and then tuned their low strings down to drop D, you could still accommodate that. You'll be able to play down to an octave below a standard baritone guitar, which is tuned to B standard, a fourth below E standard: BEADF#B. Alternately, you could always get slightly thinner strings and tune everything up, so that your lowest string is an octave below the guitars, and then you'd have an extra high string instead. That's how I have mine set up at the moment and I personally enjoy it. Either stand should be fine.

I make one absent minded mistake jeez...

Precisely what I meant though as I've seen people tuning every string to A (god only knows why) and calling that Drop A.

2 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I won't say that's always how this place has been, but it's a trait that most of the major users have espoused from the beginning, and most of the detractors from it have almost systematically weeded themselves out. That's how my other long standing forum engagement has been, but unfortunately that place is even slower in traffic than this one. It's ironic then that I spend most of my time arguing with idiots on a platform that is exactly as you're describing the way that most social media functions.

Romney's hilarious "self-deportation" gaffe often comes to mind when I think about who ends up fitting in here and who doesn't.

Just now, RelentlessOblivion said:

I make one absent minded mistake jeez...

Precisely what I meant though as I've seen people tuning every string to A (god only knows why) and calling that Drop A.

Two, actually. :D Melodic minor is the way you described when you're ascending, but when the melody is going back down, it descends like natural minor. The 6th and 7th are only sharp on the way up. But the reason I mentioned the "top" vs "bottom" string distinction is that it's not intuitive for beginners, and it can make for some pretty muddled conversations if we're not all on the same page. The thinnest string, tuned to the highest note, is the "top" or "first" string, etc etc.

2 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

I won't say that's always how this place has been, but it's a trait that most of the major users have espoused from the beginning, and most of the detractors from it have almost systematically weeded themselves out. That's how my other long standing forum engagement has been, but unfortunately that place is even slower in traffic than this one. It's ironic then that I spend most of my time arguing with idiots on a platform that is exactly as you're describing the way that most social media functions.

Romney's hilarious "self-deportation" gaffe often comes to mind when I think about who ends up fitting in here and who doesn't.

I'm not familiar with that one.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Just now, BlutAusNerd said:  

I'm not familiar with that one.

One of the comments he made about immigration during his 2012 campaign was that he'd encourage illegal immigrants to "self-deport". It didn't play well.

Lol, that guy was a clown. What do you expect from a Mormon though?

59 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

There's nothing inherently "different" or special about the sharps/flats; they're just what people call the notes that are in between the other notes. The relationship of those note names to the guitar or bass fretboard is somewhat arbitrary. 

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! That's the first time I have ever gotten a music theoretician to admit to that! So, in theory, we could just use 12 letters. But, I'm not going to get every one in the western world to change over to new names for the notes. So, again, I just have to get over this sharp/flat thing and deal with it if I want to know anything about music theory. Damn, all this stuff is confusing. However, as I said earlier, you do a very good job explaining things.  

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:05 PM, Parker said:

I saw an an ad on Craig's List that looked really cool. I emailed her and we had a lot of common interests and seemed to be hitting it off real well. Then I mentioned my psych disability because I like to get that out of the way early because it's going to come up eventually and can be a deal breaker. She wrote back: good luck on your search.

I feel like I'm becoming a misogynist. I don't want to, but it feels like women are just rejection machines put on earth to make me feel like shit. 

Some people are just ignorant. Glad you are feeling better on your new meds. I know it can be a struggle. Look after you and don't let shallow fuckers get you down. They not worth it.

3 hours ago, natassja7 said:

Some people are just ignorant. Glad you are feeling better on your new meds. I know it can be a struggle. Look after you and don't let shallow fuckers get you down. They not worth it.

Thanks. I'm sorry about what I said about women, I was just angry then. Obviously, not all women are like this one; you're very kind.

10 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Given the title I'd say it's a safe bet Luke won't train Rey as a Jedi. More likely, like Snoke with Kylo, she'll be taught both the light and dark left to judge how and when to use every aspect of The Force. That would make Luke both the last Jedi and ultimately the one responsible for the fall of that order. I also expect Luke to die midway through the film and become a Force Ghost. Third thing we can expect - Leia will die off-screen.

I disagree with some of your conclusions. The title may only refer to Luke, but as Jedi is the plural of Jedi, it may refer to both Luke and Rey. I do think Rey will be trained as a Jedi. I don't expect Luke to die in this one, I think He'll be alive in Episode XI. I don't think Leia will die off-screen in this one, I think that will happen between Episodes VIII and XI, and will be explained in the opening scroll for XI. But, we shall see . . . 

12 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Thanks man! I still have a lot to learn. Although I'm not sure which system to study - since the European calls that note H, not B...and our B is your B flat (?) I think. Anyway, beside that I don't know any other differences between the US and EU systems, but I guess there are some. Although the US system is more available on the internet...

I doubt Luke will train Rey as a Jedi purely because of the lore established in VII - that being Kylo and the Knights of Ren killing all of his students after falling to the dark side. I think they'll bring back into canon the legends continuity jed-di way of thinking balancing light and dark.

I have a collection of human teeth. Most are mine; I've had many pulled over the years, only have 7 left in my mouth. Anyway, I'd like to make my tooth collection into a necklace, as that would look really cool and metal and such. Problem is, I don't really know how to go about it. I've thought of using a really tiny drill bit to put holes in them, but I'm afraid they'd be too brittle and end up cracking and falling apart. Maybe I could use glue, but I'd be afraid of them falling off and getting lost. Any ideas?

58 minutes ago, DukeThylacine said:

Thanks man! I still have a lot to learn. Although I'm not sure which system to study - since the European calls that note H, not B...and our B is your B flat (?) I think. Anyway, beside that I don't know any other differences between the US and EU systems, but I guess there are some. Although the US system is more available on the internet...

Yeah, that's right. The history behind it is interesting if you care about that sort of thing, and sheds light on the development of our modern #/b notation as well.

43 minutes ago, Parker said:

I have a collection of human teeth. Most are mine; I've had many pulled over the years, only have 7 left in my mouth. Anyway, I'd like to make my tooth collection into a necklace, as that would look really cool and metal and such. Problem is, I don't really know how to go about it. I've thought of using a really tiny drill bit to put holes in them, but I'm afraid they'd be too brittle and end up cracking and falling apart. Maybe I could use glue, but I'd be afraid of them falling off and getting lost. Any ideas?

Do you have access to a shop? The biggest challenge with drilling them would be to hold them in place while you're doing it, you'd need a drill press with a vise that was capable of fine adjustments. If you have the right bit and you take it slow, it should work ok.

When I had my wisdom teeth out, I tried to convince the dentist to give them to me, but no such luck.

24 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Do you have access to a shop? The biggest challenge with drilling them would be to hold them in place while you're doing it, you'd need a drill press with a vise that was capable of fine adjustments. If you have the right bit and you take it slow, it should work ok.

When I had my wisdom teeth out, I tried to convince the dentist to give them to me, but no such luck.

No access to a shop as far as I know, but I haven't really looked. I wouldn't even know where to start. I'll have to look in to it. Any suggestions?

Some dentists are bastard assholes that wont let you keep your own damn teeth. I've gotten into big arguments with them about this, and have never paid a second visit to such a dentist. Other dentists are cool about it, some even provide a little plastic display case free of charge. 

Nearly sliced the top of my thumb off today so had a two hour visit to Accident and Emergency earlier.  Also the boiler is fucked and nobody can come out to fix it before tomorrow so it is fucking freezing in the house, thankful know for electric heaters.  First world problems rant over.

EDIT - just noticed I got Moderator status, cheers Tait.

8 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Nearly sliced the top of my thumb off today so had a two hour visit to Accident and Emergency earlier.  Also the boiler is fucked and nobody can come out to fix it before tomorrow so it is fucking freezing in the house, thankful know for electric heaters.  First world problems rant over.

EDIT - just noticed I got Moderator status, cheers Tait.

Hate that, our heat has been reliable here but the hot water cuts out pretty frequently. Sucks for washing dishes and taking showers and such.

And, welcome to the team. :)