What Are You Listening To?

khaos

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Now you've let the others into the meaning they won't have to open the dictionary and that's a shame.

What I mean is that the sound - the production - is limpid, that is clear, transparent, not obscured by muck. This was not a comment on the musical content which I know you don't much care for and I'm not laboring that point. But I love the sound environment as well as the music. Especially with headphones. There is such clarity that I can hear when the drummer hits his sticks together - is this an error or a sound he wanted? Only he knows I guess.

Muck has its place and earlier ULCERATE albums certainly were not as clean sounding.   

No one opens dictionaries anymore Doc old boy, it's a 3 second search on our phones. I can inform you though that you have the distinction of being the MF poster who has caused me to perform the most 3 second Google searches for words I was previously unfamiliar with. And I appreciate that, because I enjoy words. Even if a lot of yours turn out to be arcane words from back in your day that have long since fallen out of common usage.

I see now, you're one of those "sound environment" dudes. Yeah, that shit's all lost on the likes of me mate. I was really just talking about the music and the songwriting. I don't care about the sound of the drummer clicking his sticks together, I barely even care about his actual drumming. Details like drumming and production only stand out to me when there's a serious problem that's risen to the level where it's actively hindering my appreciation and enjoyment of the music. If everything seems to be basically as it should be I pay that trivial kind of shit no mind. Obviously I do love the muck, and I deffo believe that it's possible for a given record to be too clean/sterile. But that really doesn't happen very often with the kinds of things I'm generally clicking on. I'm never gonna be that guy who'll stop in the middle of a record and think "Wow this limpid production is really on point!" Nor have I ever put something in my top 10 or given it any extra points primarily because it was so well produced. Because I fully expect things to be competently produced here in the new millennium. Only when something's lo-fi to the point of near total obfuscation or there's a layer of static over the whole thing or maybe I've discovered a snare sound from hell that I just can't unhear, only then will I focus on or complain about production or declare something unlistenable. My caprine sensibilities and the filthy kinds of music I'm typically drawn to have conditioned me to be able to overlook a lot of fairly minor issues with album production that might prove to be fatal errors for more sensitive, refined and fastidious listeners such as yourself and maybe Mr. Milky Beans or Marky McMarkerson.

Meuchelmord - Schwarzmetall aus Niedersachsen, Germany 2020

28 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I see now, you're one of those "sound environment" dudes.

Well, of course I am.

And I'm not trying to convert you, just putting what I think out there. That said, there is a new mix of FALLUJAH - The Flesh Prevails coming out soon. It's said to be the clean, 'anti-loudness wars' version. I listened to the one track released so far, everyone's favourite, Sapphire, and compared it to the original. I can't hear all that much difference but I prefer the original.

I know no one opens dictionaries any more. I don't open dictionaries any more. 😏

NP - FRACTAL GENERATOR - Convergence. And it'll be the ULCERATE later.

30 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

There is a new mix of FALLUJAH - The Flesh Prevails coming out soon. It's said to be the clean, 'anti-loudness wars' version. I listened to the one track released so far, everyone's favorite, Sapphire, and compared it to the original. I can't hear all that much difference but I prefer the original.

it'll be the ULCERATE later.

Even your limpid Kiwi horde Ulcerate is exponentially better than Fallujah, innit? And I'm sure that holds true for whichever mix tickles your fancy.

Wrach - Quae Infra Volo Videre, Wales

Great harmonies, fantastic raw overdriven guitar ton, jamming it out. One of my favourite early 70's classics 

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

I like that album. It's a pity Kurdt seems more interested in his other bands than he does in MC

NP: Slo Burn - Amusing The Amazing

Thats a band I haven't heard in awhile 

8 minutes ago, Arioch said:

I'm continuing the little game I started on Monday by listening to one album a year, from the end of the 60s to... we'll see!

I do silly shit like that. Listen to full discographies, or listen to albums from a particular year, or start with the same letter etc.

NP Helloween - My God Given Right

22 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I do silly shit like that. Listen to full discographies, or listen to albums from a particular year, or start with the same letter etc.

The idea came to me over the weekend, when a friend was playing me some AI-generated music.

I felt a deep sense of unease listening to this kind of thing, and wondered what the future would bring to us with this technology. Will there be bands tomorrow composing their music, just by asking an AI? Perhaps this is already the case?

Thinking about this disgusted me, and I immediately had a reflex: listen to old hard rock from the late 60s/early 70s. At least it sounded natural, sincere and REAL. And since then, I've been slowly working my way back through the years, listening to one album a year as the mood takes me.

Sabbat - Dreamweaver (1989)