John Garcia - JOHN GARCIA

John Garcia's a busy hombre these days. The former KYUSS/HERMANO and current VISTA CHINO and UNIDA vocalist wastes no time throwing a solo album into the market while his iron's red-hot. What you might expect in the way of stoner and psych-out jams is what Garcia gives you, but it's not entirely KYUSS-driven. "My Mind" chuffs away with Garcia grumbling about the haunts inside his personal headspace and demanding to be left alone to sieve through his brain stew. The whumping riffs are straight-up stoner and some sloppy bass chops (hopefully mucked up on purpose) create a membrane-wracked cadence rattled by the more straightforward rock jive of the goofy titled "Rolling Stoned". This time, the bass parts are glued tightly behind the shucking chords and buzz-drenched front guitars. It takes a minute-and-a-half before Garcia's voice manifests and with added reverb to his mix, he sends out the shivery edict "I'll kill you if you leave me". Inspired perhaps by a bad trip or a bad headline, there's a subversive anxiety trembling behind the striding march of "Rolling Stoned" that hints at future gloom on this album. Fortunately, the moodiness continues only for a bit longer before Garcia turns on the jets in a big way. "Flower" rolls along with a booming drone of interchanging chords as it maintains a hard edge on the verses. Appositely honeyed guitar lines are poured on top and together they build to a massive chorus. Garcia slides and shrieks with a cloudy hiss behind the song's fuzz nuggets. "The Blvd" kicks back on its laurels with lazy, drawling chords and a steady, dropped-down tempo before jacking things up with sonic gushes on the choruses, even if the first eruption ends up being a wordless fake out. Garcia smoothly burrs behind it all and when he does strike the chorus, it's a killer payoff. "5000 Miles" is a real ass-kicker with its slammed-down riffs and catchy groove while Garcia continues to prattle briefly about the voices in his head while finding his way through the proverbial desert dust that has been both ally and muse for his music. At least the voices are pointing him in the right direction. "5000 Miles" is one of the best stoner rides ever, and that's not superfluous hype. The challenge is upon you not to bob along to it. For that matter, the same test applies to avoid shaking a tail to the terrific boogie rock humps of "Saddleback" and "All These Walls". John Garcia is brilliant for holding those two high energy gems toward the end of this album. Where "5000 Miles" treads from the desert, "Confusion" jumps into to the mud with a grubby, static-laden intro that the SONIC YOUTH goo crew would appreciate. The song stays absolutely filthy with murky distortion while Garcia trades off with clean vocals containing no filters or even wails. It's a shrewd strategy set against the other tracks. It sets up the poised strut of "His Bullets Energy", countered at the end of the album by "Her Bullets Energy", the latter featuring a guitar cameo by none other than THE DOORS' Robby Krieger. The "His" selection rides upon the heft of buoyant alpha strums and bass pokes that jive along with the song's systematic drumming. Appropriately, the "Her" installment is filled with tender omega effervescence and tiding acoustic plugs for Garcia to croon along to. Hitting a flamenco-driven solo section, the jam with Krieger must have been as satisfying to record as it is to behold. When you're good at what you do and your audience all but pre-select, there's not much else required stepping into a solo project beyond what John Garcia brings to the table here. Not that Josh Homme has much to be envious about given his elevated position in rock music, John Garcia is, in modest fashion, usurping the last of Homme's street cred with each new release. Without overtly making a last-man-standing KYUSS record, John Garcia smacks it down on this record and, along with VISTA CHINO's "Peace", throws the grit back into what has been dragged kicking, screaming and defiantly toking into the mainstream. Read more... then come back and comment below.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies